Friday, March 04, 2011

Miso Horny!

We all know Marmite is nice on toast. Vegemite, even better, according to some. See, that's old news.
But my mind has been swirling with tiny, useless, random creative ideas lately, and I'm actually putting some of them into play.
Here's how this one came about. Zoomie bought her first tub of miso, grilled up some miso-maple fish, and then wondered what to do with the rest of the Paste of the Umami Gods.
I ventured a couple of little suggestions. Then, Zoomie did a later post on the utter joy of plain buttered toast, and I thought: Miso on toast! Why not?
Right? Am I right?
She didn't exactly jump for joy, so I tried it myself, today, for lunch.
Ohmahgah. Seriously. #hashtag good!
On the right, some red miso that's been in the fridge for ages. On the left, new white miso. Both spread very thinly (scraped, actually) on buttered toast, and then topped with microgreens (purchased; a mixed medley).
We preferred the white miso, but either will do nicely.
This was a delicious, face-stuffing orgy of snack. Simple as can be. You could taste the dairy in the butter; the bread was fresh and golden-crunchy; the miso was a thrill of salt and substance and... you know. Youmami. Yo mama. The greens added the veneer of health food, and mild flavor and mouth feel as well. Very nice.
Gonna do it again, every day. That good.

17 comments:

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Did you arrange your micorgreens with special tweezers?

cookiecrumb said...

Mouse: Heh. Sometimes I want special tweezers, but no. Just fat fingers and gravity. And a newfound reluctance to Clean Things Up for the camera.

Heather said...

Man, toast. What *can't* it get into my mouth?

Pink Granite said...

Will definitely try this!
If you ever come across South River Miso from Conway, Massachusetts buy some of their "Sweet Tasting Brown Rice" variety. It is wonderful and probably similar to what you call the blonde miso.
Thanks!
;o)
- Lee

Barbara said...

Great idea.I once made edible soil using miso paste.It makes a nice garnish.

cookiecrumb said...

Heather: That's what it is here, also. Food delivery system planks.

Lee: I'll definitely look for it. How nice. I'm not sure what local miso we have over in my hemisphere (hee), but I haven't been a miso horny dog until now.

cookiecrumb said...

Barbara: I think I know about your edible soil! I think. :)

Nancy Ewart said...

Now I know why there was no Miso paste left in my local grocery story - the fans of this blog had already gone out and bought it all up. But I have miso in the fridge and might, just might have it on toast. I love it as a simple soup topped with green onions and a bit of lemon but I confess that I never thought of putting it on bread.
Until now.
You've probably made culinary history.

cookiecrumb said...

Nancy: Ah! I see it piqued your interest, and that is good.
History? It turns out, no. I googled Miso Toast, and there were already one or two similar creations.
cheers

Robert said...

Unique toast or not, it's still the best blog title ever.

Greg said...

Miso escapes me. Tried to make miso soup and failed horribly.Maybe a remedial miso course?

cookiecrumb said...

Robert: Flirtery will get you everywhere! Thanks.

Greg: It shouldn't be hard at all... Why don't we all give ourselves the task of trying some and posting about it?

Zoomie said...

Flitery! You are a goddess.

cookiecrumb said...

Zoom: I must have loose hinges in the cerebral cortex. Thank you so much.

Zoomie said...

Of course, I meant "flirtery," and, if you have a hinge loose, I wish I did, too.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

My sister could get you the tweezers but I strongly suspect they'd get pinged in the mail!

cookiecrumb said...

Mouse: Medical contraband?