Monday, February 28, 2011

Food Torture

It was difficult.
Sometimes you've got to do something difficult, because it's worth it in the end and you'll always be able to brag about it.
I climbed Half Dome. To the summit, and didn't fall off.
I ate a bowl of duck tongues and cocks' combs, and didn't throw up.
I bought a fiddle, which I still can't play but I really want to.
Oh. This? Anchovies and parsley on bread. "Interesting" bruschetta.
And here's the difficult-but-brag part. I sliced up and chopped a fresh Meyer lemon (unpeeled), and cooked it into sticky, gooey brownness with a minced fat clove of garlic. My new favorite flavor is "burny," and we all know lemon rinds are bitter. There was a lot of difficult flavor there.
And the anchovies were fishy (wouldn't you think?) and salty. The parsley was the mitigator! (Flinks of hot, smoked paprika, too.)
This was bite-after-bite difficult and so good. Hard to explain.

12 comments:

Zoomie said...

Masochistic cuisine - the newest rage!

And, yes, Mr. Darcy! The right guy won.

cookiecrumb said...

Zooms: Masochistic more describes hot foods to me (habaneros, like that). But yes, new rage. We are a doomed race.

Nancy Ewart said...

Hurts so good?
Anyway, Jolly Green Glop posted on Chez Namaste Nancy - just for you.
Well, I was planning to do it anyway and normally wouldn't spam your blog but since you asked...

cookiecrumb said...

Nancy: Correctamundo. Anyway, wow, the glop is fascinating. Lots of spice, and you still think it wasn't enough. I had thought there was more cornmeal, but no. It just opens me up to new ways of making food.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Have you considered using salted lemon rind instead? Much less bitter and if rinsed, not overly salty.

Nancy Ewart said...

Re: the cornmeal - I just check the official recipe and it's 1/4 cup but as I said, I won't use it again. I didn't care for the thicker texture and maybe that's why I kept adding more spices and vinegar. But then, I love sour tastes and I think that greens, beans and rice soak up spice, salt and sour like a sponge so you can add lots and lots before you get the taste you want.

undercover caterer said...

I think it sounds good. Something to think about while you're chewing.

cookiecrumb said...

Mouse: I do love preserved lemon. Rinse? Woot. Didn't even think of that. Still, I think the browning calmed down the bitterness a bit, and it was so... Hard but worth it!

Nancy: I take your advice. Too much glop in the glop would be gloppy. :)

UC: It is nice to be so *engaged* with your food!

Anonymous said...

Difficult cuisine is the best. I have never really understood eating bland, and now, in my dotage, I seem to favor flavors that challenge- extremely funky fermented stuff from sweet fish sauce to sharp pickles. And what would one do without the alliums to sexify each bit up with their stink? This is a lovely combo for a bruschetta. Must try my own version soon.

cookiecrumb said...

Tweety: Thanks! Yeah, I was actually saying to myself "To think some people would prefer a bowl of vanilla ice cream."

Greg said...

Oh my that sounds good.

cookiecrumb said...

Hey, Greg: Boy, if I didn't know your last name, I'd think you were Italian. I hope you'll give this a try.