Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Think Globally, Eat Locally

I never could figure out how to use those cute globular zucchini. I thought they'd turn to mush if I sliced and sauteed them.
Then this month's Saveur magazine ran a picture of a French woman holding a pan of stuffed tomatoes and hollowed-out round squash. Bingo! We had leftover Marin Sun Farms ground beef already mixed with chopped onion from the day before, so we sauteed it with herbs and chopped tomatoes. Scooped out these little darlin's from Wild Blue Farm, filled them with good stuff and popped them in the oven for about 45 minutes. (If the French can do it, I'll try it. Though I'm not able to bring myself to stuff and bake a tomato.)
Pefect size for one serving apiece, and no leftovers. (Actually, there's still some meat mixture left; that'll go into tonight's lasagna made with zucchini strips instead of pasta. Oh, and we saved the innards of the globe zukes for soup later.)
Meanwhile. Things are really going bad over there this week. So what else is new?

6 comments:

Farmgirl Susan said...

Cute! Yum!

Actually, I made stuffed, baked tomatoes once. They were. . . interesting. But the filling was mostly cheddar cheese and bacon, so you can't really go wrong with that! : )

Anonymous said...

My favorite summer squash recipe ever from the Victory Garden Cookbook also involves a lot of cheese and salty meat bits--melted muenster and linguica to be exact. I just tried it with Ronde de Nice zucchini last week and it was fantactic. You actually saute the scooped out, chopped up zucchini innards with a lot of onion and garlic, then add bread crumbs, a ton of basil and whatever other nice herbs you have around, some diced melty cheese, and some cooked linguica or other interesting sausage or sauteed mushrooms, then stuff them and bake them with a little water in the bottom on the pan. One of those flexible, almost foolproof summer recipes, and even better for next day's lunch...

Sam said...

the whole family was filled with dread whenever my mother baked 'stuffed marrows'.
Marrows are like an overgrown corurgettes, about the size of a watermelon, with watery flesh and skin as tough as old boots. they are not very popular. Even less so when my mum just suffed them with mince and onions. Yes - watery marrow - mince and onions.Blaegh! We were poor, that's the only excuse I have for this godawful British disaster of a meal.

cookiecrumb said...

Sam: Those are hilarious links. One of the things I'm lerning this week is how good spanking-fresh food tastes, and thank goodness these little globe zukes were not watery.

Sam said...

we are safe - I have never seen a marrow in California. Yes - the links cracked me up - especially the first one. Both found by simply typing marrow in a google image search.

cookiecrumb said...

I can just imagine the other images your "marrow" search turned up. Come to think of it, I love roasted beef marrow.