Friday, June 10, 2011

Bored, But Back To Blogging

I know people who would not consider this lunch. Lunch is a sandwich, right?
Well, as my gastroenterologist said, bread is junk.
I'm not giving up bread, because I like a sandwich too. Now and then.
But this is lunch. And the USDA would definitely approve of this plate.
Behold, the first harvest of homegrown blueberries. Damn, they are sweet! So different from supermarket berries. The texture is snappy and juicy, not potato-y. The flavor is — I have to say this — *blue*.
A leisurely graze through this plate of wonder (the cottage cheese is Cowgirl Creamery, the roasted almonds are Massa, the peach is Kashiwase, and what have they been doing? It was fantastic), divided between two of us (we shared one spoon), felt so nurturing. Taste explosions. Protein bombs. Sweet, sweet fruit. And as we approached the end of the food on the plate, we were satisfied, full. Happy.
What a way to eat.

16 comments:

meathenge said...

Dang, that like totally blows sammiches right outta the water, right there. Congrats!

And, ya know? I'm not convinced bacon would have been a worthy addition here. I'm going to say this band of goodies is fine by itself. I have spoken.

xo, Biggles

cookiecrumb said...

Biggles: Thankee! Yeah, good eating. And I am anointed, by you. You has spoke.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lunch can be anything you want. I've eaten olives & nuts and I've eaten chocolate cake. What ever you need you eat.
Almonds, Mr Brown LOVES almonds. We (he) go through about 1/2 a kilo a week!

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

This looks like an awesome lunch or breakfast or whatever. I picked up that cottage cheese today and then put it back down because I needed to think about the price tag. Worth it?

cookiecrumb said...

Mouse: You have to take care of the frail organism. Today I didn't even think I could eat that, and it was devoured!
We lurve almonds too! We have local almond butter for emergencies, which pop up often.
<3 Mr Brown.

Denise: Cranky probably wouldn't want me to say, but I'd be satisfied with Clover. He loves it a lot, though, so you might try once.

Amaratay said...

Wiener aside, do you have any hotel recos for a dirty weekend in Pt Reyes/Tomales Bay? Although I don't know you, I trust your mad, food-loving, irreverant ways.

cookiecrumb said...

Amaratay: How cool are you? The better person to ask would be Denise from Chez Danisse. She commented just above. She used to live there and she's Hella cool.

SimplyStated said...

Looks fantastic...proud of you. I made peach cobbler and blueberry muffins yesterday with fruit from our little orchard.

And here I was expecting a corn dog recipe just to keep the wiener rolling...

Greg said...

Healthy and beautiful too!

Zoomie said...

Beautiful photo. That could easily be lunch, or breakfast, or dinner. Why not?

cookiecrumb said...

Simply: Ha ha, corn dog. Did you see that bit on Maher with Jane Lynch?
Yeah, this food is nice, and I'm frankly a little averse to making dessert when you get such satisfaction from the raw materials all by themselves. /rant

Greg: I still can't take my eyes off the blueberries. What a color!

Zoomie: I kind of think of it as Garden of Eden cuisine. I don't think Adam had a camp stove.

kudzu said...

Cooks -- I love blueberries or peaches with good plain yogurt and a sprinkle of...nutmeg. Often a lunch for me in season.

Impressed with your berries, ma'am.

cookiecrumb said...

Kudzu: I would have preferred yogurt, but Cranky wanted the "foodiness" of the cheese.
Nutmeg? Now you've given me an idea! Merci.

cookiecrumb said...

I CAN'T GET ENOUGH WEINER NEWS

(rehab??? Ha ha ha ha.)

Cheryl Czekala said...

Aw! I love that you shared a spoon!

cookiecrumb said...

Cheryl: Romantic... or lazy? :)