Monday, November 23, 2009

Backyard King Kong

It was just a fluke of lighting. I'd never have noticed this an hour earlier or an hour later.
Portions of my backyard are covered with wood-chip mulch. It's a bit ugly, but it keeps things from growing until we can decide what to do with the land.
Our new little doggie is wild about the mulch, which surprises me. Her predecessor, Bean Sprout, would go to great lengths to avoid walking on the chips; delicate paws and all. Bartlett thinks the chips are a great toilet. Fine with me. I let the wet stuff evaporate, and pick up the chunks with last night's used dinner napkins. She's all over the place out there.
So today I was helping her be a good girl, and I happened to see this King Kong in the chips. Spooky.
I picked it up, put it on a table, and went indoors to get my camera. The gorilla disappeared.
Oh, the wood chip was still on the table, but the ape was gone.
It was all about the angle of the sun.
So I twisted it around, just so, and caught this image.
Then I threw the wood chip into the yard.
Bartlett found it.

8 comments:

Zoomie said...

Reminds me of your spelling tendril, Gwen, a few years ago. Only you would notice. Happy Thanksgiving - I'll bet you are grateful for Bartlett.

cookiecrumb said...

Zoomie: I'm tickled you remember Gwen!
You know how these things are? You don't see them if you're *looking* for them. I just happened to get glared at by an unexpected monster.
Happy Thanksgiving to you. Bartlett needs a week or two more, and then we're ready for company.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

That's a mighty fancy way to clean up after a doggy, linen or damask?

cookiecrumb said...

Mouse: Ha! Well, we've just about gone through my aunt's stash of crocheted-border, monogrammed linen. Now on to the modern cotton prints!

Zoomie said...

You're having fun with your masthead, aren't you?

Chilebrown said...

Fluke of Dooky!

Anna Haight said...

Good eye!
Happy Thanksgiving Cookiecrumb & Cranky!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

I've got 100 million french-seamed double damask left over from my brother's wedding for when you run out!