Saturday, July 30, 2005

Provision Quest

Two days to go until August. BH&CC and I decided to go out today and lay in some items for the larder. I never expected so much enthusiasm from him on the eat-local challenge, but he's way into it. We've been putting our heads together to make shopping lists and menus, and we're strategizing alternatives for non-local foodstuffs. I can't wait to share some of our ideas.
For now, though, let me just show you the stuff at the Wild Blue Farm booth at the organic farmers' market in Point Reyes Station (Saturdays, through September).
Wild Blue is in Tomales, which is in Marin County, so we scooped up bags of squash, chard, beans and onions.
Not all the produce at this lovely little Saturday market comes from Marin, so we asked around. (Also got two beautiful heads of garlic from a beautiful farmer's daughter -- their farm is on Route 1, also in Marin, but I forgot to ask what it's called.)
Next, I'll tell you about the vinegar, mustard, butter, milk and cheese we bought. The vinegar is from Healdsburg (Sonoma County) and the mustard is from Napa. Ah, so sue me.

4 comments:

Greg said...

I see the new camera is working well.I have not been to a farmers market in a while. And I'm sad.:(
G.

cookiecrumb said...

I'm just starting to get past Auto setting. Started reading the instruction manual yesterday...
At the market (which I almost didn't even shoot because you already got it covered so nicely) I considered wandering around asking strangers "Are you Greg?"
(Good thing I didn't.)

Greg said...

Acctually went to Marin Farmers Market today. Got there at 830am. There was so many people!Got tomatoes,zucc,and strawberries then ran from the maddening crowd.
G.

cookiecrumb said...

Since I don't have to work anymore (and neither does beloved husband and co-cook), I prefer the Thursday market. BH&CC actually did visit the Sunday market today -- twice -- on his bicycle, and he reported it was a zoo. Yuppie curiosity trap. Feh. Gawkers hovering around the cheese vendors, gobbling free samples.
Upside: some Dry Jack cheese, Napa-grown beans and wild rice, ripe chiles from East Palo Alto.
Oh, dear -- your tomatoes still haven't ripened.