Sunday, October 01, 2006

Grace from Fall

Oh, I got plans for this. It's an acorn squash variety, named "leopard," I think. I think.
See, October happened today. And summer... Well [lips making little Peter Sellers puff of air against pinched fingertips] — she is gone.
So, with a cache of collected autumnal produce from not one, but two successive farmers markets (one yesterday in the Fillmore district in San Francisco and one today in Marin), Cranky and I have dreamed up a dish that we believe reflects the transition of summer to fall.
Just not sure I'm going to get around to making it today, because Cranky is in the kitchen broiling tomatoes and cheese on toast. Now, that's a last gasp of summer.
The squash might have to wait a day.

7 comments:

Abby said...

It's so cute! I went to our fair today (121st, I think?) and it reminds me a lot of the pumpkins, squash and gourds I saw in the agricultural building.

There is a 921 pound pumpkin in there this year! Can you IMAGINE the cupcakes we could make with THAT?!

cookiecrumb said...

Abby: It's even prettier in person. I might try shooting it again if the sun ever returns.
921-pound pumpkin... well, now, see (affecting Jimmy Stewart voice) -- I don't even think that's something you'd want to eat. You might want to FILL it with cupcakes though. That'd be cute.

Marianne said...

That squash made me gasp a little. I think that might mean that something is wrong with me...but whatever, it's really pretty! I can't wait to see what you come up with...

Ilva said...

Beautiful squash and beautiful pic CC! Please show us what it looks inside when you get around to the cutting and slashing.

Dagny said...

It's definitely fall in my mind, given the most recent weather. Tomorrow night's menu will feature Beef Bourguignon. But now you have me thinking of squash. I didn't buy any this weekend but I just might have to soon.

cookiecrumb said...

Marianne: Me too! It's pretty, and pretty unusual. God, I love local markets.

Ilva: Too kind. xxx

cookiecrumb said...

Dagny: I think you like squash. Everybody would like squash if they could just get over thinking they don't! (Your zen koan for the day.)