Friday, August 26, 2005

Garden of Eden

Our lunches during Eat Local Month are not a whole lot different from lunches any other time. We eat seasonally, usually skip meat (unless it's a restaurant meal), and keep it simple. Which often means salade composée, or as in today's repast, just a plate of fresh fig halves topped with Point Reyes Blue Cheese and walnuts. Past versions of this dish have been assembled from figs, toasted almonds, crumbled feta cheese, chopped sage, and a drizzle of honey and balsamic vinegar. But we didn't even have to go to that much trouble today.

3 comments:

Monkey Gland said...

Man, decent figs are so frikking expensive here. I gorge on them when in Spain.

Shauna said...

Yum. I don't care how expensive figs are. This time of year, I adore them.

I wrote about this on my blog, but broiled figs with cheese are extra-tasty. I bet that blue would do well there.

Oh, and by the way, I've always loved the title of your blog!

cookiecrumb said...

Shauna:
XXXX!
OOOO!
Thanks.
I'm going to enjoy perusing your blog. I ran a story about celiac disease a few years ago, when I was editing a food section for a newspaper. I respect your -- um -- limitations. And your compromises.
MG: I've never been to Spain. I should just do harakiri, right now. :(