Saturday, January 06, 2007

Lunch

The red beans and rice we put together the other day turned into a little bit of trouble. Too much salt, and in the repairing of that, a little bit drier than we wanted. I think it tasted great, but it was thick.
Next day, Cranky reheated the seized-up red beans with a healthy half-bottle of Milwaukee's Finest, and I poached a couple of Petaluma's finest.
Poaching eggs is easier than you think. The trick is bravado. Believe in yourself. And pull the eggs out of the simmering water a little sooner than you might suspect – they will continue to firm up in their own heat. We'll have a lesson on that some day.
But for now, I just want to brag that we resurrected the red beans and rice by giving it a glass of beer and dropping boiled hen product on top of it.

7 comments:

tammy said...

Sounds like my kind of resurrection!!

Dagny said...

Yum. I was thinking about heading into the kitchen to poach some eggs.

cookiecrumb said...

Tammy: Well, I can understand you wanting a glass of beer, but do you also want me to drop an egg on your head?

Dagny: YOU, my dear, should be the one to write up a how-to on poaching eggs!!

Rachel said...

Sounds like a good save!

Stacie said...

you guys don't really drink Blatz?! I knew I liked you!

Guy said...

Stacie !!!!

I have a Blatz key fob that doubles a s a bottle popper !!

I love Blatz.

cookiecrumb said...

Neat thing about Blatz is you can say it with a burp.