Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Cheatin' Day

We eat a lot of leftover Local Food preparations, and that's why you don't hear about every meal we consume. But I've been honest about every cheat.
Today I just wanted a sweet date with Beloved Husband & Co-Cook, and it ended up being glasses of Zinfandel (from Paso Robles grapes) and a tumbler full of breadsticks (dreaded unsourced wheat -- and poppy seeds! -- from I don't know where) served up at Il Fornaio in Corte Madera. The doggie was allowed to join us on the patio (ooh, forgot to shoot his highness).
So we cheated. Got to, every once in a while.
Tonight we'll work on that local lamb stew, and I hope I have the energy to start a whole-wheat bread dough to rise (retard) overnight in the fridge. Got a fun sandwich in mind.
The other picture is of Il Fornaio's Meyer lemon trees on the patio. The tree in my patio is refusing to fruit this summer. Dang. Well, at least I know where to go swipe local ones.
I'll surely do a wrap-up of my impressions during August Local Challenge Month a little later, but for now I want to say that a bit of controlled cheating is therapeutic. I do have whole wheat flour in the house, but I'm not always up to baking bakery goods. I also miss dried corn products, but have managed to avoid them for the most part. And yet.. and yet...

1 comment:

cookiecrumb said...

It's (ahem) a "borrowed" term. There was a funny (but genuine) book of the same name back in the, I think, early 80s, by a formerly fat guy named Larry Goldberg, a pal of Calvin Trillin. He'd diet all week, and then blow it big time one day each weekend (or something like that).
It's a good approach to most disciplines, I'd say.